On 31/07/2015, you requested the version in force on 13/05/2012 incorporating all amendments published on or before 13/05/2012. The closest version currently available is that of 31/05/2010.
30 April 2007
Housing and Development Act
Housing and Development (Penalties for Late Payment — Markets and Food Centres) Rules
G.N. No. S 185/2007
REVISED EDITION 2010
(31st May 2010)
[1st May 2007]
1. These Rules may be cited as the Housing and Development (Penalties for Late Payment — Markets and Food Centres) Rules.
2. In these Rules, unless the context otherwise requires —
“agreement” includes any tenancy agreement, licence agreement or agreement for lease or lease entered into between the Board and any tenant, licensee or lessee referred to in rule 3;
“amount” means any rent, licence fee, service and conservancy charge, table cleaning charge or such other charge payable under an agreement or any goods and services tax payable in respect thereof;
“financial year” means a period of 12 months ending on 31st March in any year;
“goods and services tax” means the prevailing goods and services tax payable under the Goods and Services Tax Act (Cap. 117A);
“National Environment Agency” means the National Environment Agency established under the National Environment Agency Act (Cap. 195);
“rent” includes the annual ground rent.
3. These Rules shall apply to any tenant, licensee or lessee of —
any market or food centre or part thereof which is owned by the Board and managed by the National Environment Agency; or
any stall in any such market or food centre.
—(1) Any tenant, licensee or lessee who fails to pay to the Board any amount or part thereof due under any agreement on the day the amount falls due shall be liable to pay to the Board, in respect of the amount or any part thereof in arrears, for every month in which the amount or any part thereof is in arrears, a penalty until all of the amount or part thereof in arrears is paid.
(2) The penalty shall be the higher of the following sums:
a sum calculated at a rate as may be determined by the Minister for Finance for the financial year in which the amount or any part thereof is in arrears, being a determination that takes into account the average prime lending rate for the last quarter of the year immediately preceding that financial year.
(3) The penalty accrued under paragraph (2) shall not be added to and shall not be regarded as part of the amount outstanding for the purposes of calculating a future penalty.
5. Nothing in these Rules shall prejudice any right of action or other remedy of the Board for the recovery of any amount or moneys due to the Board, including any penalty for late payment or liquidated damages or in respect of any antecedent breach by the tenant, licensee or lessee under any agreement.
6. The Board may, in its discretion, apply any moneys paid by the tenant, licensee or lessee firstly towards the payment of the amount of any penalty payable under these Rules, and then towards payment of the amount or part thereof which is in arrears.